Currently, pet farming has become popular. To make sure they live long and healthy, we need to conduct regular home inspections.
1. Measure temperature
To check regularly at home, you can buy a special thermometer that measures a pet’s temperature by placing the probe in the ear. The normal temperature range of cats is 100°F – 102.5°F (37.7°C – 39.1°C). The average temperature in dogs is usually 101°F (38°C), but it is better if it is higher or lower than this by 1 to 2 degrees.
2. Measure and control your pet’s heart rate
For this process, you will need to prepare a stopwatch or a timer function on the smartphone.
– To measure the cat’s heart rate, just place your hand on the chest behind the cat’s elbow. Count beats for 15 seconds and multiplies the result by 4 times. The normal heart rate of cats is 140-220 beats per minute.
– To measure the heart rate of a dog, place the palm on the chest under the armpit. Count the beat similar to the above. The normal heart rate of a dog is 70-120 beats per minute (depending on the size of the animal).
– Check your pet’s eye problems: Eye problems are one of the most common reasons for dogs and cats to visit a vet. Eye infections have many different forms, one of the causes of blindness, leaving serious consequences. That’s why it’s important to check and clean your eyes. In case you notice that their eyes have any inflammation, do not hesitate to see a veterinarian.
3. Check ears to find ticks and scratches
A pet’s ear test can help you detect parasites and infections early. Check carefully both outside and inside. It should be noted that when a pet has one of the following symptoms: earache, smell, inflamed skin, a bump, strange object in the ear.
4. Weight control and attention to pet behavior
In addition to checking the body parts, you need to monitor the amount of food and behavior of the pet. Just like humans, obese pets are at risk for diseases that prevent them from living long. Pay attention when they are suddenly lazy, sad or have any unusual actions.
5. Check your pet’s fur and skin
Check your pet’s skin for scratches or parasites, especially when they play outside. Early detection of unusual symptoms is easy to find positive treatment for your pet.